From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Max Game-Improvement Irons
Price: $699, steel; $899, graphite
WE TESTED: JPX-Fli Hi 4h and 5h with Fujikura Orochi graphite shaft and 6-GW with True Temper Dynamic Gold XP steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: Designed to fly higher and straighter, the JPX-800HD (HD stands for High Distance) features a multi-thickness “hot metal” face to maximize COR for added distance. Extra weight in the low heel and high toe—where many golfers miss— delivers the highest effective sweet zone of any Mizuno iron.
OUR TESTERS SAY: The highest-rated iron in its class. Chart-topper across the board.
PLAYABILITY: Extremely easy to launch high shots; clubs power through undesirable lies; short and mid-irons are fairly nimble from all lies.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Straight shooters; good swings seek out pins; nice correction on poor swings.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Above-average length; iron mis-hits get lots of help.
FEEL: Superior feedback; smooth, soft, crushing impact feel; not the equal of a true forging but a welcome relief to many others in the category.
LOOK: Game-improvement features are well hidden at address; clean, thin appearance, bright metallic finish, moderate topline and less offset.
The 4- and 5-hybrids require an adjustment period because these don’t carry as far as pure hybrids; a small minority of guys prefer a bit more forgiveness in the hybrids.
From GOLF Magazine (December, 2011)
Designed for: Max game improvement
HD irons (stands for “High Distance”) utilize JPX staples such as “Hot Metal” face construction and “Max COR” (a measure of spring-like effect) technology. An ultra-thin, multi-thickness face helps increase carry distance, while strategic weighting in the low heel and high toe expands the effective hitting area to help on common mis-hits. The set consists of two JPX Fli-Hi hybrids (4 and 5) and six irons (6-GW), each of which boasts Mizuno’s lowest, deepest center of gravity (CG) ever.
$699, steel; $899, graphite
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Club Campestre: The Mexican Course That Survived The Cartels
- PGA Tour Confidential: What To Expect From Tiger in 2014
- Blair O'Neal: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Bubba: Why You Shouldn't Practice
- Old Tom Morris, New Style Icon?
- Holly Sonders: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Natalie Gulbis: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- PGA Tour Power Tip: Use Your Hips Like Harris English
- Anna Rawson: The Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Who's The Best Player Right Now?
- Better By Saturday: Lou Guzzi's Chopping Wood Drill
- How To Add Freedom To Your Swing For Better Ball-Striking